Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: DVD-A comparisons? Tosh SD6915 vs Samsung HD841 vs Pioneer 758

I tried the Toshiba 6915, Pioneer 563 and Samsung 841. The 841 locked up on me shortly after I started playing with it so I didn't get to do extensive testing. I was comparing these to my year-old Panasonic changer.

I was disappointed with the Toshiba. The transport was sloooow. The high-end was not very crisp. (Cymbals on Steely Dan sounded a little mushy.) It was my first SACD player and none of the SACDs I tried impressed me. (Keb Mo, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel)

The Samsung seemed a little better sound-wise but I had less than an hour with it when it locked up and the tray wouldn’t open so I didn't get to do a lot of testing.

I also tried a Pioneer 563 and it sounded better to my ears than either of the other two, but it was no better than my Panny and it wouldn't play a couple of my DVD-As at all (Elton John for one.)

All of these went back and I ended up spending $400 on a refurb Onkyo 802 universal changer. I've had it for about a week and so far I like it a lot. (At more than double the price of the others, I should.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.