Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

DualDisc is outside the DVD spec yet it brings good things from The Dark Side?

Thanks Frank for correcting my spelling!

On http://www.dvdforum.org searching for DualDisc we find one hit which includes the following:
--begin quote--
“DualDisc” is a trademark owned by RIAA.
*The DualDisc format has been developed by the record industry and is not a DVD Forum format, although it may include a DVD side. The DVD Forum makes no representation regarding the DualDisc, which is exclusively the responsibility of its developers and not the DVD Forum.

---end quote---

What leaps out at me here is “developed by the record industry” and the trademark on the name owned by our old buddies the RIAA. So its that bastion of engineering excellence whose main agenda is an un-hackable copy protected CD. Oh good, now I feel all reassured.

So the picture that is emerging is that the DualDisk (opps I mean DualDisc) is NOT an officially recognized DVD standard disk rather one which exists outside the core specifications of DVD/DVD-A. I for one am pleased that content providers are exploring all avenues to deliver value added high resolution music. However the confusion is that because it looks like a DVD/CD we expect it to act like one. In fact it appears an informed consumer will be aware there may be some ‘issues’ in owning DualDiscs. Personally I will buy them if they have music I want. I find it an acceptable risk to use them in my Sony and Pioneer home players. I won’t be risking placing one in my Alpine slot loading car player. Which of course is one of the advantages of DualDisc and Hybrid-SACD disks that I can rip the CD layer, burn it on a CD-R and take that disk in harms way in the car while the expensive pressed disk stays safe at home.

How ironic the RIAA is involved in DualDisc! While their army of lawyer drones sue 1000s of music lovers for sharing ripping CDs they are involved in opening a easy path to rip content off DVD-A!!! I love it! :-)

happy listening

Norman Tracy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.