Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Depends...

in general i agree with your interpretation, but i think i can see where frank is coming from.

the core data is constructed from a downsampled 48kHz stream. an anti-aliasing filter would have been used as part of the downsampling process, so some "damage" has already been done to the stream.

Frank is wrong (or at the very least misleading) when he suggests the core data decoding reconstructs "all" the samples. as we know, dts is a lossy encoder, so the reconstructed samples merely approximate the 48kHz stream.

the extension stream encodes differences between the original 96/24 stream and the *decoded* core data upsampled to 96/24. so if there are any differences between the original samples and reconstructed samples due to the lossy algorithm, there is a chance for these differences to be captured in the extension stream.

at least that's what i think frank really means.

however, in general i think your point is valid - it's likely that more damage is done by the downsampling to 48kHz and the reduction in the bitrate for the core stream than can be recovered through the extension stream.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.