Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Depends...

You make some assumptions about DTS9624 encododing/decoding technology which may not be valid.

"DTS 96/24 dedicates a considerable amount of its available bitpool to delivering data that is completely inaudible in the first place"

This is probably not entirely true. The extended data section is encoded with differential data to reconstruct all the samples.

Encoder process:
1st psycho acoustic decoding drops 'inaudible' data from 24/96 datastream.
2nd Filter 24/96 data stream sharply at 22..24kHz to remove upper frequency band. Resulting data is still 24/96.
3rd Drop sample rate for filtered datastream.
-since it is filtered this is a matter of dropping every other sample.

4th Encode difference data from the resulting 24/48 datastream upsampled to 24/96* and original datastream into extended data section.
-* The same upsampling algorithm as in the decoder is used guaranteeing perfect predictability.
The difference data stream requires far less bits to encode

And
Encode 24/48 data into core data stream.

I have no doubt that it actually is a bit more complicated than this simplification of the encoding process. But this is what I understood from the explanation I got at the DTS booth at an exhibition.

"A 1kHz tone would be sampled at 48kHz in a standard DTS system and would also sampled at 48kHz in a DTS 96/24 system."

This assumption is totally incorrect. The 'band splitting' is what makes DTS9624 backward compatible with standard DTS decoders.
It happens after the audio signal is sampled and is part of the encoding process. It has nothing to do with the actual sampling of the audio data itself.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.