Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

the Toshiba SD 5700 came yesterday, first impressions:

Hi all,

I'm back into Video, for the last couple of years I had no TV in my stystem. I came back to Video and DVD-Audio on the cheap:

Toshiba SD 5700 DVD-Video/DVD-Audio/HDCD purchased in Mint condition on eBay $109.00 (original retail was $449.99 later lowered to 399.99), manufactured August 2001.

24 inch true Flat Screen TV by Sanyo purchased at Wal Mart for $188.92.

Philips Component Video cables with 24k Gold connectors purchased at Wal Mart for $17.96.

Total outlay to re-add Video and DVD-Audio: 315.88, I really went cheap!

I already had some AudioQuest Turquoise interconnects which I used for the audio to my tubed pre-amp.

first thoughts:

Doesn't sound as good as my old SD 9200 especially in the bass, but it's retail is only 1/4 the price as I didn't expect it to. On the up side it doesn't click between tracks when playing HDCDs as the 9200 does. And this is important as I love Reference Recordings and I found this clicking as disturbing.

Movies are enjoyable and it is nice to see movies at home again.

The DVD-Audio's I have tried so far sound very good: Neil Young: Harvest; Steve Huffsteter Big Band and Start Here sampler on AIX; the new Classic Recordings 192kHz 24 Bit DVD-Audio's including Alan Parson's: Turn of a Friendly Card and older Classic Recordings 96kHz 24 Bit recordings.

HDCDs have more resolution on this player decoded than on the Xindak SACD player undecoded but they sound warmer on the Xindak. Not sure yet which way I like them best, correctly decoded or tubed and upsampled only time will tell.

CDs don't sound so good in fact like the Toshiba 9200 and my old Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD player, CDs are quite painful! The Xindak will be used for redbook CDs, this is the first player in which I do not suffer pain when listening to redbook CDs, and many are actually quite enjoyable, the Xindak not only has tubes but upsamples CD to 24 Bit 96kHz and that could be it's secret.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All listening was done 2 channel (I prefer 2 channel) and in the setup I have the choice of PCM or Bitstream, anyone know which is better for a 2 channel system? I chose PCM for now.

IMPORTANT NOTE: HDCDs CDs are only decoded for set for PCM or Bitstream. If 6 Channel Audio is selected HDCD output is UNDECODED. So if you use the 6 channel outputs you will need to go to setup to switch to PCM or Bitstream to hear HDCDs decoded. Could this be because HDCDs are a 2 channel format?

ALSO because the DVD-Audio player is so cheap I will reframe from comparing the sound of SACD (through my expensive tubed SACD player) to DVD-Audio though this mid-fi DVD-Audio player as any comparison would be UNFAIR.

Also if anyone knows so great sounding DVD-Audio titles please share, especially those with 2 channel 24 Bit 192kHz high resoltion.

Happy listening,
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - the Toshiba SD 5700 came yesterday, first impressions: - Teresa 15:03:52 11/02/04 (13)

You can not post to an archived thread.