Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Have you looked into the Toshiba SD4960 with Mods?

Here's a link to my mods notes:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=12613

For non-DIY capable people, EVS (www.tweakaudio.com) has a $300 mod for this player. They use Black Gates instead of the Panasionics that I specified, and then there's their time, so the cost is probably justified - but if you can soldier then you can probably bring it in for under $100 in parts. Of course they do some other proprietary things that they do not specify in their mods notes.

Here's a quote:
"The modified Toshiba sounds slightly better than the modifed Pannies so to me represents better value since it will play SACDs and does not invert the phase when the output stage is removed. It also puts out 1.5 volts rather than 1.1 (inconsequential to most except certain systems using passive preamp). "

and this

"There are other decent inexpensive players including the Pioneer 563 universal player but this Panasonic is miles ahead of the Pioneer in sound quality. In fact, it sounds way better than the Pioneer 563 that I performed a $400 mod on. I am now currently using the Panasonic as my reference piece in evaluations of my forthcoming amp. It really is that good!!!!! "

So I guess the Toshiba SD4960 is now their reference after mods. Not a surprise to me.

Enjoy,
Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Have you looked into the Toshiba SD4960 with Mods? - BobM 06:55:25 11/02/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.