Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: according to this article: DVD-Audio's would sell on average 3 times as many per title than SACD as

"Two COMPLETE Beethoven cycles recorded in hirez 24/96 5.1 just for DVD-Audio . . .

1. DG/UMG: Abbado; Berliner Philharmoniker;
2. Warner: Barenboim; Berliner Staatskapelle,

. . . versus zero in DSD/SACD.

The entire Handel's Messiah recorded in 96/24 just for DVD Audio by Arts Music . . .

"b.t.w. I do like Harnoncourt as a conductor, and I like his musicians. But I don't care for any recordings ruined by backward DSD technology."

"Backwards?" There is nothing more backwards than PCM. What an ironic thing to say. It doesn't even look or sound like music until it's decoded--very complicated and in-elegant--goes against nature to operate this way. It's replacement, DSD, *looks* like music before its decoding--a much short path--and the more realistic sound-quality shows. Don't take my word for it--heavy-hitter engineers choose it over high-fiz, (sorry, rez), PCM even though it cost more. Now *that* goes against nature!

The entire (2hr 40 min) St Matthaus Passion recorded in 96/24 just for DVD Audio by Warner/Harnoncourt . . .

Don't you just hate that?"

Umm, do you know how tired the seasoned Classical collector is of Beethoven and Handel? The Rattle and Barenboim Beethoven was panned overall, there are better individual performances elsewhere. The '63 Karajan, as a performance, is considered on of the best--on DSD BTW. I'd rather have McCreesh in Handel in any case. You carefully avoid mentioning the performers on the Handel, I notice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

You can not post to an archived thread.