Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: according to this article: DVD-Audio's would sell on average 3 times as many per title than SACD as

OK, summary:-

My question: >> So which ones did you listen to then? <<

Your answer: None.

By the way, compared with Harnoncourt's Bach Passion on DVD-A, the so called 'editor's choice' Harnoncourt Mozart Requiem (Harmonia Mundi) SACD is unfortunate sounding: The brass section is shrill; low level details and ambience are buried under a sea of velvet, and the bass has about as much warmth as a piece of damp cardboard in a garden shed.

And that was your beloved 'pure' DSD.

b.t.w. I do like Harnoncourt as a conductor, and I like his musicians. But I don't care for any recordings ruined by backward DSD technology.

p.s. Another thing, the Harnoncourt SACD runs at about 55 mins -- close to SACD's maximum; But Harnonourt DVD-A runs nonstop for 2 hours, 45 mins! Then there's a video documentary too. Plus photo images. Plus catalog 5.1 hirez clips of other titles. etc. etc.

And get this:-

Two COMPLETE Beethoven cycles recorded in hirez 24/96 5.1 just for DVD-Audio . . .

1. DG/UMG: Abbado; Berliner Philharmoniker;
2. Warner: Barenboim; Berliner Staatskapelle,

. . . versus zero in DSD/SACD.

The entire Handel's Messiah recorded in 96/24 just for DVD Audio by Arts Music . . .

The entire (2hr 40 min) St Matthaus Passion recorded in 96/24 just for DVD Audio by Warner/Harnoncourt . . .

Don't you just hate that?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.