Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

according to this article: DVD-Audio's would sell on average 3 times as many per title than SACD as

there are almost three times as many SACD titles on print as DVD-Audio titles: 2,400 SACD versus 900 DVD-A. So this is really terrible news for SACD, sales down from 689,000 same time period last year to 300,000. And great news for struggling DVD-Audio sales up from 100,000 same time period last year to 300,000. That's a 65% decrease in sales for SACD and a 300% increase for sales for DVD-Audio.

That also means that of SACD's 2,400 Titles on average 125 copies of each title sold. Of DVD-Audio's 900 Titles on average 333 copies of each title sold. Of course these are averages some recordings could have sold as little as 10 copies and other over 50,000 copies, but you get my drift.

"The 300,000 SACDs shipped in the opening months of this year were fewer than half the 689,000 that went out in the first six months of 2003; for DVD-A, the same 300,000 were three times the 100,000 shipped in that period."

OK Big question: If these figures are correct why does Univeral Music music claim SACDs greatly outsell DVD-Audio's?

Also those that claim the small numbers for SACDs indicate small number for Classical and Jazz traditionally. DVD-Audio has nearly as much Classical music as does SACD. SACD does lead in Jazz titles though. And in Rock SACD has more physical titles than DVD-Audio but not by percentage, by percentage of titles released DVD-Audio has more titles.

Questions, questions and more questions.

But I feel after 5 years both DVD-Audio and SACD should have a bigger share of the marketplace. Darn Sony and their "Perfect Sound Forever" advertising of Redbook CD. As most people still believe CD is as good as it gets.

Just my 2 cents,
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.