Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Some more points . . .

*** Firstly, I note that you’ve declined to contest my other points about low-cost DVD-A hardware, hirez digital link evolution, and HD-DVD backwards compatibility. ***

I haven't contested them because you appeared to be agreeing with me. if you have data that shows that the % of DVD-A players in use today is greater than 50% of all DVD players then i'm happy to listen. if you can show one dvd-a player that's cheaper than any comparable non dvd-a player, i'll like to know about it. asserting that you can buy very low cost DVD-A players mean nothing - there's always a cheaper DVD-V player. if you can show at least one player capable of transmitting 96/24 5.1 on one cable in such a way that it can be decoded by at least three amps of different brands *today* i would love to hear about it.

until then, i still believe that DVD-A players *today* are (a) comparatively rare, (b) comparatively expensive and (c) there is no universally accepted single cable solution deployed. in the future, that may change. in the future, we could all be dead.

*** Sure, without CPPM, you can copy the AOB file, but the difficulty arises in extracting the six streams of original, uncompressed, editable LPCM ***

You said it was difficult to copy. You never said anything about extracting until just then. My original statement stands (there is nothing inherent in MLP that makes it difficult to *copy*). And by the way, MLP is not the same as AOB, just like MPEG2 is not the same as VOB. More confusion on your part, methinks.

as for extracting, anyone who owns a legal licensed MLP decoder should be able to do the extraction of non copy protected MLP content. of course, last time i checked, it's very expensive. but not "difficult."

*** But DVD-A combines all these together (as does the hirez portion of DualDisc). ***

yes, it's DVD-A that combines all these together, not MLP. Hence your confusion about DVD-A the format vs MLP the encoding scheme. If a new format also adopts MLP that doesn't imply anything about backwards compatibility with DVD-A.

*** That is your sequence of words, not mine. ***

OK, then. in your sequence of words, kindly explain exactly what you mean by DualDisc being a "gateway"?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.