Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Some points . . .

>> Lack of DTS will make it less attractive to those without DVD-A players. <<

That was indeed the case a couple of years ago when DVD-A playback equipment was (a) still very rare, (b) expensive, and (c) lacked a one-cable digital hirez link.

But today, anybody has access to low-cost DVD Audio based playback hardware — with many now sporting HDMI single-cable A/V interfaces. Panasonic, Pioneer and Denon, Rotel, Arcam, Toshiba, Yamaha, etc. provide MLP-capable machines to suit every pocket.

Moreover, in-car DVD-A (both OEM supplier-furnished, as well as aftermarket retrofit) machines will become increasingly common. And tellingly, Philips is at last getting in on the act with its partner Harman who are together developing a MLP-capable in-car player.
Another thing, if folks are so concerned about the sound quality difference between DD and DTS, then these folks would surely be aware now of the availability of DVD-Audio. In short, that tired old cry of: "I’m not upgrading my system to play DVD-Audio" is inevitably sounding fainter and fainter (especially as discerning consumers will get it anyway with their HDMI).

>> So whilst we are debating 192/24 vs 96/24, the labels are probably debating whether to include MLP at all. <<

I think the labels are looking at this issue more strategically than skeptics give them credit for. Indeed, we already see that future HD DVD media will be backwards compatible with DVD-Audio (i.e. MLP). There are many reasons for this. Copy-protection is obviously one of them. And MLP is also now regarded as a proven, high-quality, and convenient system which works.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.