Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Indeed . . .

Hi Martin - thanks for accepting my apology. As I said, I will endeavor to be less confrontational in our discussions, and it seems that you are willing to do the same. I appreciate that, and I'm sure others will too!

I would like to address a few points you made in your post.

I don’t accept that I "lack practical knowledge". No — I am not referring to operating studio equipment — indeed that is not my profession.

It's clear that you have studied up on hi-rez and its many facets. I have never questioned that; I have questioned your conclusions (sometimes in a quite unfriendly fashion). You have studied a great deal of info, but I think you would agree that your knowledge in this area is academic, or theoretical, if you prefer. I suspect that in your engineering discipline what is implemented in the field is often vastly different than what was taught to you in engineering school, for practical or pragmatic reasons. Such is the case in recording and audio technology as well. This is why I said you lacked practical knowledge; you have read papers and such on the subject, but the implementers do not always follow what the theoreticians say.

Also, spending time doing gives one a familiarity with something to the point where seeing differences between encoder/decoder are not just an intellectual understanding, they are a way of life :-)

Moreover, it is only logical that if an OEM makes a universal transport, they must have acquired the relevant decoder licenses and have access to the technology prior to making that device.

This is not quite accurate. The decoder circuitry is not part of the mechanicals; decoder circuitry is mounted on a separate circuit board (or boards). Therefore Linn can buy a raw transport mechanism from Sony that simply spins and reads the raw data from a disc; it does not care how the data are encoded. Linn builds its own decoder circuitry that interprets the raw data. Sony does not need to license anything, they just need to build a mechanism with the proper laser wavelengths to read the physical media. There are some Philips-based players (most notably the Tri Vista SACD player) that have been shown to read DADs, thus indicating that the raw Philips transport used could serve as a "universal" transport like the Sony, but Musical Fidelity chose not to implement the decoder circuitry for MLP or video.

OTOH there are OEM kits for building "universal" players, which is where your theory may have come from. The most well-known of these kits are from Pioneer and Denon, but Linn also offers one. The kits aren't simply a transport - they are a transport coupled with logic boards containing the decoder circuitry for various audio formats and MPEG. These allow companies to build players based on a package. Pioneer and Denon could, if they chose, buy the mechanicals from Sony/Philips and just provide the electronics, as Linn does. Again, this does not mean that Sony/Philips are offering "universal" players or "universal" kits.

The other reason I did so was that I am sure there were some folks here who really did want to know whether there was a public MLP list or not, but were too afraid to question you in case they would be rebuked.

Well, I suspect that the primary reason no one got involved was because no one is really that interested in the rather dull and tiresome back-and-forth we've engaged in at times. ;-)

In fact, I do have considerable practical experience in the area of multichannel hirez audio.

Indeed. There is no doubt about that, and to the best of my recollection I have never questioned your knowledge or experience in that particular area. My complaints have been, as noted above and in the past, about your conclusions, and your clear bias toward one particular format and against all others.

I have a pretty decent system by most peoples’ standard (especially people of my age!).

Certainly. I have mentioned to you before that I have some similar equipment in my Home Theater, and I am well aware of its capabilities. I have stated that I consider my HT gear to be better kit than many peoples' "high end" music systems, and I would agree that yours fits into that category as well.

As for you, well you do certainly have practical knowledge and I respect you for it.

Thank you. Given our history, that was a very kind thing to say.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Indeed . . . - racerguy 09:36:02 07/02/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.