Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Indeed . . .

I accept your apology, thanks for that, however, I don’t accept that I "lack practical knowledge". No — I am not referring to operating studio equipment — indeed that is not my profession. Neither do I claim to have practical knowledge in building DACs and ADCs, nor do I have experience in designing laser optics, and likewise regarding optimising real-time algorithms for audio codecs. etc. etc. But then the exchange we had was not about any of these things.

However, in the context of what we were discussing — i.e. who licenses MLP, I can certainly assure you that I’ve known that since I first had a DVD-A player some 2.5 years ago. I’ve also met with, and interviewed, both the head of Dolby Labs UK, and of Meridian.

Moreover, it is only logical that if an OEM makes a universal transport, they must have acquired the relevant decoder licenses and have access to the technology prior to making that device. And as for the existence or otherwise of a public list of MLP licensees, well here too, I was not incorrect in my judgement — i.e. that there was no such list. What neither of us seem to know, is whether that apparent Philips transport has silently made its way into production units, or not. Certainly an internet search does not reveal very much, and the OEM is saying nothing.

I suppose if there is a type of ‘practical experience’ where I am lacking, then it is in the area of designing and implementing jokes to lead people ‘up the garden path’, so to speak. And for that, I have no regrets. I am an engineering & business journalist (with a degree in engineering), and it is my job to follow-up every avenue of information presented to me, and not to mislead. You presented me with such ‘avenues’, and I "doggedly" — as you put it — followed them up, where others may have chosen not to. The other reason I did so was that I am sure there were some folks here who really did want to know whether there was a public MLP list or not, but were too afraid to question you in case they would be rebuked. And now they do know that there isn’t one, because I pursued the issue.

In fact, I do have considerable practical experience in the area of multichannel hirez audio. I have a pretty decent system by most peoples’ standard (especially people of my age!). Indeed, I was the very first ‘civilian’ in the UK to get their hands on the Denon DVD-5900/-A11 machine, direct from the OEM, several months before it appeared in any shops, either here or in the US. And as a beta tester, I figured-out all sorts of things which I consequently relayed to Denon technical support, who then implemented my suggestions into production units which people on this very forum are benefiting directly from. Can you show examples where you have done the same?
I also naturally have ‘practical’ experience in the effects of time-alignment and bass management. In fact, bass management on the DVD-5900 is markedly improved on that machine because of my feedback on the way it was implemented on the earlier DVD-3800 and DVD-2900 machines (of which I had similar practical experience and knowledge).

I could go on, but I hope I’ve made my point.
As for you, well you do certainly have practical knowledge and I respect you for it. Moreover I don’t see the conflict. Your kit is indeed impressive, and maybe one day I will have something similar. But for now my multichannel separates system is fine. I could spend four times as much, and get maybe a 15 per cent improvement in sound quality, so for now I am happy with my ‘lot’.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Indeed . . . - Martin419 09:35:27 07/01/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.