Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Look into my (hazy) crystal ball...

In the spirit of my post below:

Martin, don't think that Sony or Philips have been ignoring the technology they own. I am quite sure that both companies have been diligent in maximizing their revenue streams from licensing the technology to other manufacturers.

It's entirely possible that either company could begin building DVD-A capable machines. Both companies currently build transports that are "universal" capable, and as discussed both companies own key portions of the technology so they wouldn't have to license a whole bunch more to do it. Whether they will is another matter that is a source of endless speculation and wild posturing here.

It's my sincere hope that the upcoming Sony/BMG merger will bring some needed change to "hi-rez" formats, and thus improve the player market as well. Both of the existing formats have terrible flaws, and unless the flaws are fixed neither format will survive long-term. Unlike you, I don't particularly care which one survives as long as the flaws are fixed. Between them, perhaps SonyBMG can fix the problems and either a) declare a winner, or b) allow the consumers to decide without forcing them to accept one set of limitations over another. If one or both formats can break out of the arbitrary limitations each has, perhaps they could even get wider acceptance.

It's a dream, though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Look into my (hazy) crystal ball... - racerguy 16:40:13 06/30/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.