Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: OK Christine, but I think you are right

Sounds good. I'm currently experimenting with comparing my recordings of LPs with their CD, SACD and DVD-A equivalents, and will have some interesting results to post soon too!

I would strongly encourage you to build or buy a gain control, if you can.

To give you some sort of perspective on the difference it will make, look at it purely from a resolution/dynamic range perspective.

From memory, your soundcard has a dynamic range of around 117dB. That corresponds to a resolution of around 19.5 bits - very good and pretty close to state of the art.

In contrast, my soundcard has a dynamic range of 102dB - corresponding to a resolution of 17 bits (hardly better than 16 bits!).

However, if you record at -14dB FS, you will lose the extra resolution and bring your card down to a dynamic range of 103dB - around 17 bits. In other words, by not using a gain control and not setting gain optimally, you have reduced the resolution of your sound card to the same resolution as my sound card.

So I don't agree that not using a gain control and adjusting/normalizing after the recording doesn't make a difference. (that's a triple negative!) It makes all the difference in the world.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.