Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: OK Christine, but I think you are right

Chris,

I don't have a mixer (apart from my old DJ mixer :) , I need a new amp and I'm broke, so I will have to do with a direct input for now. I could be using my preamp, which has balanced outputs, but I'm not sure that would be a better solution.

The question of the 4dB input gain was discussed on the Lynx forum several times in the past, and the opinion was that as long as you're working in 24 or 32 bit depth, the original level is not essential because you can adjust gain later on. Most SACDs are very quiet but with very high peaks (the worse I have seen so far is Michael Jackson), so I have to stay at 4dB

Re: normalizing. I am usually careful not to normalize by RMS, to avoid clipping, as you describe. Unfortunately, if I need to normalize a large number of tracks or albums (6 or 7 at a time, usually), I have to do it through the batch processing so I need to do it by approximation.

As for the results, I still cannot post them, because I need to check a few things. The "missing samples" problem I now have, but even worse than on your chart (and it doesn't go away entirely with a bessel filter), but not only that, now I also have a major peak at 35kHz, so I need to check whether this is a problem with my card, with my player, or a problem with that disc in particular. I'll have to move my card around the various PCI slots to check whether something is playing tricks in my setup.

I'll post the pix as soon as I have checked all that, probably over the weekend.

Cheers

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.