Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: OK Christine, but I think you are right

I find it strange that you cannot set gain for the analog input to your sound card. Perhaps because it is intended for studio use, where it will typically be front ended by a mixer that controls gain.

if you, i would strongly recommend that you buy a mixer and not run signals directly from your player to the sound card. Some consumer equipment (including sony players) run "hot" outputs - i.e. greater than "nominal" voltage, sometimes by up to 10%. these players will surely cause your sound card to clip unless you adjust gain in a mixer.

also, i would discourage you from normalizing by RMS - you can't predict whether the signal will clip or not. you should normalize by peak digital value (preferably to -3dB FS or less) - at least for these sort of recordings anyway.

i'm not sure what you mean by "missing frequencies". are you talking about the lack of content above 35kHz in the spectral view? or are you talking about the histogram? if you are talking about the histogram - that is not a histogram of frequency distribution - it is a histogram of sample amplitude distribution.

interestingly, my recording of track 4 does *not* suffer from the "missing samples" phenomenon. maybe this is an anomaly in my sound card? i now find there is no correlation between whether there are any missing samples or not and the source of the recording (LP, DVD-A, SACD, CD, ...)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.