Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: I think Eric's soundcard has a built in peak limiter

*** This can only lead to one conclusion. The limiting is in song 4 on the disc and has nothing to do with Erics soundcard limiting the signal. ***

Then why do my recording not show any signs of this "limiting"? i recorded at least 6dB lower than Eric (judging by comparing his waveform against mine). i'm encountering peaks up to -3.5dB (which would surely clip at his recording level).

*** The sacd shows signs of analog peak limiting, not clipping, in Erics sample. ***

Actually, for once, you are correct, although the difference between an analog clip and peak limiting may be more semantics than anything else - analog often "clips" by compressing the transient, which often has the same effect as a peak limiter.

*** If a signal is peak limited at -3dB fs in the analog domain, which is well well within the adc input range, the samples will exactly follow the signal. It will not be sampled at various levels. ***

no - you misunderstood what i said. but it will be too difficult explaining what i meant so i won't bother. let's just say my point was the point at which analog may start clipping or compressing transients may well be different depending on various conditions so it is possible for one peak to be limited at one level and another peak, under different signal conditions, to reach higher than that level. this is what the adc is capturing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I think Eric's soundcard has a built in peak limiter - Christine Tham 01:41:55 06/21/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.