Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: You probably missed it...(link)

***I must admit - I admire your ability to "spin" just about anything to suit a conclusion that you want to make. I particularly like the way that if you measure a limitation then it's proof that the medium is at fault, but if someone offers a counter example then their equipment is at fault :-) Have you considered a career in PR? The iraq situation needs people like you right now. :-)***

I was only pointing out a *possible* flaw in your arm/element setup.
There are testrecords with a test signal approaching a 'squarewave' as best as it could be reproduced by a mechanical analog system.
With an oscilloscope the overshoot/resonance can be checked.

You have sampled vinyl. Just view the effect of a loud scratch by lookin in your wave editor to see how arm/cantilever resonance come into play.

As in the case of the missing samples. You didn't present evidence of missing samples with pcm or cd at the time.
It's clearly because of noise and the method used by the software to calculate the graph.
It isn't counting sample size occurances it's averaging them.
Due to the noise the the 'missing samples region' shows little because it averages out to near zero or below a treshold set in the software's algorithm.

However it's still a valid indication that low level resolution might be poor.

***"Impossible"? Evidence, please. Your repeated mention of disc cutter limitations just doesn't "cut" it - given that Discrete Quad LPs produced in the 70s require frequency response to 50kHz, so the technology was available even then.***

I have had a guided tour in a vinyl pressing plant with it's own cutting facility.
It was clearly explained why this dynamic range compression and hf frequency roll off is needed.

It was also explained at an informal lecture I attended by veterans in this business who have cut thousends of disc.

Do some research and you'll find out that it's the simple truth.
I simply refuse to buy into the current audiophile trend to blowup vinyl's capabilties into mythical proportions.
It's just a nice sounding format that served it's purpose in it's day.

This dynamic range limiting isn't such a bad thing as it's contributing a lot to the particular charm of vinyl playback.

***"Impossible"? Evidence, please. Your repeated mention of disc cutter limitations just doesn't "cut" it - given that Discrete Quad LPs produced in the 70s require frequency response to 50kHz, so the technology was available even then.***

Now you are confusing extended bandwidth with dynamic range capabilities.

'Discrete' Quad LP's. A joke I presume. :) Quad LP's used some kind of matrix processing or carrier wave technology to encode the mc in the analog domain.
The technology was available but in the end hardly practical and difficult to implement.

***And can you elaborate on exactly how a "passive" stylus tracking grooves can somehow cause "overshoots on transients"? ***

It's a mechanical device. The mechanics are comparable with that of a car's suspension hitting a pothole or bump in the road.
A more sporty trim and you feel every dent in the road (and ruin your back) or a more limo type setting where you can become seasick.

Sample a loud scratch and look how your setup reacts.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: You probably missed it...(link) - Frank.. 01:34:56 06/18/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.