Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: You probably missed it...(link)

***Well, maybe you do need to upgrade your turntable. as i've said, i am getting full dynamic range of conservatively 80-90dB all the way to 20kHz and beyond. i'll post some graphs in my next article.***

80..90 dB is practically 'impossible'. Dynamic range is reduced with a compressor for the disc cutter. It's also a possibility that your element arm combination/setting overshoots on transients.
You need a test disc to check if that's the case.

***Thanks for the MP3. can you tell me the exact timings of your recordings - i would like to compare against my system on the weekend.

I'll see what I can do. I have placed markers at the 'candidate silence' locatations in the track but not at the exact spots that are used in the mp3 sample.

The first and the last locations are fairly easy to spot though. :)

Note that I sampled the left and right front channels of the multichannel mix. I did this intentionally because usually there is ambiance added in a stereo mix picked up with an additional set of mics further out in the venue. The stereo mix could also be made from a pair of spaced omni's.(AB)

Ambient surround recording often use more 'discrete' mic setups with cardiods pointing in 5.1 directions.

There is a good chance the front mics pick up less hall ambiance and deliver better defined sonics from the direct sound field.
This way it's easier to seperate the noise from the ambient sounds.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.