Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: OK, here's what I found on my end (HOT PICS of Diana Krall inside :)

Nice work Eric,

Regarding the hf peaks in the spectrum plot:
You should check if the peak at 60kHz correlates with your monitor frequency. Simply adjust the videocards scanrate. If the peaks shifts to another frequency you can be certain that it's interference from your videocard.

***I think the only significant factor is that the filter lowered the minimum RMS value (I'm not sure how that makes sense, since it is supposed to delete samples above certain threshold, in this case 50kHz). The difference between minima/maxima as per our previous discussion (which to me means "dynamics") would then increase. But it is unclear to me whether this is an artifact due to the filter or whether the "real" dynamics appear after the filter has been engaged, maybe you and Frank have a better idea. Average and total RMS power is unchanged, which is strange.***

The filters lowers the wideband noise contribution. It's normal that the minimum RMS value will be lower after applying a filter.
This is true because the noise energy and the signal energy ratio is small.

It's also logical that the avarage and total RMS power changes very little. The signals energy is mostly concentrated below the filters cutoff frequency. Also the signals energy is much stronger than the noise contribution.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.