Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

NO - look at your player or system, please

Since I did the recordings you may be referring to - NO, there is no inherent loss of low-level detail in DSD. At the source sessions I am constantly switching & comparing the analog source (straight from mic preamps or mixing board as the case may be) and the DSD dac output. There is NO change of low-level detail or otherwise.

I have had the experience of some playback systems, especially vacuum-tube amplifiers or preamps, having difficulty with DSD playback without at least a 50 kHz filter in-line. The effect is almost as if a compressor was in the line or that the tubes are totally saturated all the time. Dynamics and high frequency detail suffered the most. Most current SACD players have this filter in-line as the default, though.

The players I use, i.e EMM Lab-modified Philips w/EMM dacs, the Sony SD-1, Sony 555-ES and 777-ES have had no problems with detail loss.

Best Regards,

Michael Bishop
Recording Engineer

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • NO - look at your player or system, please - Michael Bishop 12:55:43 06/16/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.