Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: ZS I believe you are correct this time. If the "Dual Discs" are mixed in with the CDs at the chain stores.

Hi Teresa,

My hope is that blue ray laser technology with its much higher density capability will ultimately provide us the ability to enjoy video in music while, at the same time, providing SACD/DVD-A quality multi-channel sound. The video, like multi-channel, adds additional dimensions to one's listening enjoyment. The Blue Ray format might just be the ultimate answer for all of us.

Having said that, here are some qualifiers:

. Currently there are fine symphony and opera recordings on both DVD and laser disc. The visual adds much to enjoyment of the performance. Unfortunately, the concentration needs to go into the performance while forgiving the poor quality of the audio (kind of like listening to a Furtwangler recording - Every music lover does but it's so sad that the higher quality recording techniques weren't available during his years of conducting in Berlin).

. In that you're on this forum, I presume your new player is universal. If that's the case, look into AIX DVD-A recordings These will show you that DVD-A has the capability of competing very closely with SACD in sound quality. The AIX recordings with their careful miking certainly fall into the category of fine performances for the music lover.

. Thank you for suggesting the Shostakovich 8 SACD on Capriccio. I immediately ordered it after reading your brief words of jubilation. Also, I agree with your assessment of the Telarc Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet. These are both wonderful recordings. I hope some day though, that you get the chance to listen to these two recordings on a good multi-channel system. The only thing the rear channels add is the hall ambience. With that ambience it's much more like actually attending the performance. On the other hand, on listening to strictly two channel, it is a way of filtering out the hall reflections and hearing the music in maybe a bit more detail. I suppose it's a matter of preference. I don't believe though that one who prefers one format over the other is any more a music lover than the other.

Cheers!
Ken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.