Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Do the math...

*** Looking at the waveform isn't helpinf a lot as these graphs are rough estimates and not precise at the presented scale. ***

Yes it is - I have the ability to zoom in to any precision in Cool Edit - far more precise than looking at statistics.

You are still confusing relative dynamics with dynamic range. They are NOT proportional to each other. relative dynamics is the difference in dB between any two points in a waveform. Dynamic range is the difference between the loudest signal and the noise floor.

Instead of arguing the point, why don't you do your own experiments and prove me wrong? All it takes is US$30 for the SACD and DVD-A, a US$100 soundcard and a universal player. You can download a trial edition of Adobe Audition, or Sound Forge but as I recall you already have Cubase.

Remember my assertion - any relatively "loud" point in the SACD recording is comparitively louder than the DVD-A in comparison to any relatively "soft" point in any part of the entire recording. Just don't select a soft point less than -60dB or so or you'll run into DSD ultrasonic noise.

The differences in relative dynamics between any two points can be up to 1-1.5dB - audibly significant.

Remember from digital sampling theory what i've empirically measured is actually possible. Remember that the analog reconstruction can have peaks higher than the highest digital sample. So it follows that different sampling rates can give rise to different reconstructions, which differ in relative dynamics.

One point of note: I am *not* saying the SACD recording is "better" than DVD-A, merely that it exhibits higher relative dynamics. It could well be that the DVD-A recording is accurately reflecting the "true" dynamics and the SACD is "exaggerating" dynamics. For example Dolby Digital exaggerates transients - that's why Dolby Digital always sound "punchy" in comparison to PCM.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.