Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

no ... you are wrong - reread my article more carefully

first of all it's *relative dynamics*, NOT "dynamic range".

you can't compare the difference between minimum and maximum RMS due to DSD ultrasonic noise.

the best comparison is done by looking at the actual waveforms.

take any part of the wave form.

look at two points at the wave form - one below -20dB and one close to maximum (say around -3dB).

adjust the relative amplitude of the waveforms on the DVD-A and SACD recordings by making sure the smaller point (below -20dB) on both are roughly equal (to the nearest dB will do).

now compare the larger point. This will always be higher on the SACD recording than on the DVD-A recording. as i am actually comparing the waveform, DSD ultrasonic noise is not an issue.

this is what i mean by relative dynamics. it has nothing to do with dynamic range.

PS - And oh, by the way, on the recordings done on the DVD-2200, the CD shows the greatest difference between maximum and minimum RMS - far greater than either SACD or DVD-A. Using your "logic" - CD has the best dynamic range :-) that shows you how much ultrasonic noise (even on DVD-A) influences the results.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.