Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Part 3: Comparison of Diana Krall's Look of Love on SACD, DVD-A, CD

Sometime ago you will recall (see link below) I did two articles comparing 2ch versions of Diana Krall's Look of Love on DVD-A (96/24), SACD (DSD) and CD (44.1/16).

The two "surprising" results were: clipping observed on CD and DVD-A versions, and wider relative dynamics on SACD over DVD-A, and over CD.

At that time, several people correctly pointed out that there is a small chance the clipping could be a result of overload on the analog circuits (player, amplifier, sound card) and the relative dynamics differences could be the result of the different players used for SACD and DVD-A.

Well, I've repeated the experiments, addressing both those concerns, by using a "universal" player (the Denon DVD-2200) and recording at a constant gain such that the peak digital sample on any format never exceeds -3.5dB FS.

The results are ... the same. I can still see the clipped waveforms on the DVD-A version, and SACD dynamics are *still* relatively better than DVD-A.

So it now looks like the differences in dynamics may be more fundamental than differences between players. Given that both DVD-A and SACD transfers come from the same analog master, the differences can now be narrowed to either the transfer process or the underlying format.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Part 3: Comparison of Diana Krall's Look of Love on SACD, DVD-A, CD - Christine Tham 01:24:50 06/14/04 (61)

You can not post to an archived thread.