Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: Does watermarking still exist ?

(boy, did I screw up the subject line or what)

>Is the watermarking signal continuous, or does it "pop-up" at discrete limited intervals?

What I meant was the watermark checking happens over a period of 15 seconds - the scanning period is 15 seconds. The watermark info is spread over some subset of that period and players with watermark detection read for 15 seconds and then decode whether that audio was watermarked and if it was copied. It both are true, it will stop playing. 15 seconds is alot of samples - 15 * 96000 for instance - and alot of data undetectable to the ear could be spread out over the LSBs of those samples. So, in short, continuous.

>Also, in 5.1 playback, does it affect all main channels, or just the front L&R?

I really don't know anything about the watermarking mechanism or detection algorithm and it's not like Verance is going to tell me.

>And is it used beyond DVD-Audio (i.e. would a major label use it on a master for a dual SACD-DVD-A release?)

I don't knoe but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be.

>can anyone honestly say that there have been instances since DVD-A's launch when watermarking has actually been instrumental in 'catching' a pirate or stopping illegal copying?

Yes. The latter.
It will survive digital copying (of course) via a software DVD-A player playing through a sound card that offers some sort of digital loop-back in the driver from outputs back to inputs. It will also supposedly survive analog copying but I have not tried it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Does watermarking still exist ? - cdr@minnetonkaaudio.com 16:53:30 06/12/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.