Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Full white paper by Dan Lavry on why 96kHz A/D/A beats out 192kHz

The major weakness of Dan Lavry's main arguments against the higher sampling rate (eg file size storage costs & reduced accuracy at higher sampling rates) is that they become increasingly less valid as technology continues to improve.

Even with today's technology, though, conversion chips that sample at higher rates, everything else being equal, generally are constrained to generate and to be designed into environments having less jitter which is an absolute improvement. I think this is analogous (yes, I still prefer analog) to the situation where many DVD players sound better with CDs than dedicated CD players(not high end) do - the allowable worst case performance is more tightly constrained for the higher throughput media and repro equipment in certain audibly significant aspects.

Plus, I haven't been convinced that getting sampled information more correctly placed in time, even down to the low microsecond range, doesn't improve the musicality of reproduction since good musicians cue to under millisecond intervals and occasional phase lock even happens between different musicians playing at the same fundamentals and harmonics.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Full white paper by Dan Lavry on why 96kHz A/D/A beats out 192kHz - Tom Dawson 07:55:08 06/04/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.