Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: DVD-A was produced to

I see what you're saying now, and no - I'm not trying to "rewrite history." The technology to create hi-rez recordings has been around for many years. The technology to put those hi-rez recordings onto DVD discs was available the day DVD was released. That it was not done for other reasons (such as the several-year argument over which copy protection scheme to use) doesn't change anything.

The point I made before, and that you seem to be either ignoring or trying to obfuscate, is that if hi-rez audio and full-length video could be put on a DVD disc together, there would not have been a need for a separate format called "DVD-A." In order to combine both, a new format is needed.

IF anyone wants it. The vast majority of consumers seem to be perfectly satisfied - no, make that ecstatic over - garden-variety DVD-V with Dolby Digital or half-rate DTS soundtracks. Most people think those lossy soundtracks are a huge step up from CDs. Most of those people are watching those DVDs on the same (or similar) TVs they used for watching VHS tapes, so they think the DVD video is great too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: DVD-A was produced to - racerguy 18:12:27 05/25/04 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.