Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Good Question

Igor,

I don't know much about the CD-R tax, but obviously this is still being implemented.

As for health and education: We are not talking about the same orders of magnitude, obviously: health care and education represent 20% of the state budget each, so approx. 40% of taxes, not counting direct contribution for health insurance off the salary (>20%). So a $5 contribution every month sounds pretty harmless to me.

Re: allocation of the revenues. As an example, I know a % of every cinema ticket sold goes to a fund to finance new films, and this helps smaller independent film makers who could never find producers for their first film. That system works very well, and has helped protect a local movie industry here in France, with some quality production as well.
The trick would be to duplicate this model: allocate a % of the total funds to new labels and new artists, and also make sure that independent music is represented in the allocation of revenues.

My point is that I don't think I can prevent my daughter from downloading files from the Internet, even if I try to explain that MP3 quality is not good. She'll still do it, because all her friends do it. So if I pay $5 per month and feel that things are not illegal, I will feel better.

As for revenues going to the music companies, I think that's fair. When I buy a CD in retail, less than 20% of the price I pay goes to the artist, so....

Cheers

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.