Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Actually, no, i don't consider myself a Guru at all ...

Christine,

The example you give of using only 12 bits of a 24-bit converter, do you realize that this signal is 20*log(2^12) or 72.25 dB below full scale? That's pretty conservative recording procedure if you ask me :-). The quantization errors you're referring to (neglecting noise) are the same regardless of whether it's DSD or PCM conversion. There's absolutely nothing magical about DSD that improves low-level signal handling behavior, except possibly in the minds of some marketeers. In fact, it's been shown that the noise is higher for DSD than PCM at the high end of the frequency band in the ideal case.

You may have found subjectively that the DSD recordings and/or equipment sound better at low levels, but I suspect that's a quality of implementation issue, either in the recordings or the equipment. Someone once said, "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice they are different" :-). All I'm saying is that there's nothing in the theory that says this should happen. In practice, I've found that good examples of both DVD-A and SACD both sound excellent and I have no preference for either one.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.