Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Actually, no, i don't consider myself a Guru at all ...

***you do realise then you are effectively recording 95% of the symphony at effectively 16 bits resolution (or less), and the full 24 bits are only used for the last 5%?***

That's not an issue. What is important is that the samples are 24bit accuracy. (actually 21..22bits with the best of the equipment available today)

You fail to see that distortion and artifacts are far below the signals level. If 16 bits are 'used' at a 70 dB signal then distortion is at least -90dB below that relative level.

***and just exactly how do you do that? if you do it post A/D, don't bother - you've already lost the resolution and "waisted" (sic) the bits. if you do it pre A/D, you'll have to do it in the analog domain.***

You need a compressor/limiter in the analog domain.

***tell me Frank, just how many times have you actually done a recording, in live conditions? using what equipment?

Running out of valid arguments? :)

I have no experience with recording full orchestra's under live conditions (yet). However I don know how it's supposed to be done.
It's important to setup during a rehearsal to get a starting point for the setup. If you are surprised by a simple loudness issue during a performance of a Mahler or Wagner you didn't came prepared very well.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.