Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

what i would stress out ...

is that the "limitations" of DVD-A you mention with regard to actual recording resolution (Fs and bit) are not *inherent* to the format. I also pointed out in my initial post what you indicated in yours: you do need to have the right equipment (I gave the example of the mic) to take advantage of the higher resolution afforded by DVD-A...Thus DVD-A has the potential of establishing a superior standard.

On the otherhand I see *inherent* limitations in current SACD technology that make it sub-standard (with respect to what a high res. format should be) no matter what the recording technique...

and thats where my argument lies in the inherent capabilities and shortcomings of the 2 formats...in light of this, ill add that even with current recording techniques, a well recorded session (delivered in SACD) may come out superior to CD if that one is not done as carefully. In large part, the recording art can be determinant beyond the format capability (no point of resolving a lesser recording)...this, indeed, applies to both formats in questions.

To address another of your point...Ive seen a mention a couple of time of players having builtin (and defeatable maybe) high freq. cutoff filters to protect potentially unstable amps from the presence of high freq. noise inherent in SACD <100 kHz..the level are apparently high enough to cause concern and have someone implement a protection for it at cost. Why would the manufacturer include this feature if not for engineering concerns, where would the "ruse" be in that? I believe this (these) players were Sonys but cant be sure, if someone knows please let us know.

thanks for the input.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • what i would stress out ... - NonA 06:36:56 04/27/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.