Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Unfortunately so are some of yours ...

whilst NonA's post is so laughably biased/inaccurate i didn't even bother to respond, i just thought i'll add a few words to yours.

*** 24/44.1 or 24/48 which isn't a whole lot different than standard CD ***

i probably think 24 bits is a bigger advantage over higher sampling rates. on my system, i can hear more of a difference between 44.1/16 and 44.1/24 than 48/24 and 96/24. higher bit depth - at leaast during the recording process - gives you more headroom which is vital for PCM recording, which does not tolerate saturation very well.

*** To do either of the new formats correctly takes a significant investment in new hardware ***

Agreed but i think moving to hi-rez PCM is less of a stretch than investing in DSD. although 48/24 is still quite common in the older equipment, many studios have already standardised on 96/24 or better even for engineering CDs. DSD requires new toolsets and is not as easy to edit as PCM.

*** many SACD's are just DSD conversion of the same low res PCM recordings ***

'many'? in my opinion, it's just a very small minority - Stephen would have a better idea.

*** where from a Technology standpoint that SACD does not meet CD is about 10db higher noise floor at 20khz ***

i'm not sure this is true. i think the SACD spec has a lower theoretical noise floor than CD throughout the entire audible spectrum. the stereophile graphs that everyone keeps pointing to are more to do with individual player performance than about the format.

*** 24/44.1 and 24/48 which at this time make up a lot of the DVD Audio Titles available ***

again, not sure i would agree with that. i have about 50 DVD-As, and only 1 title has a 44.1/16 2ch track (miss e ... so addictive) and only about 2 titles have 48/24.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.