Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Suggestions for universal player for under $1k?

I know others disagree, but I didn't care for the 2900 much at all. To me, it seemed lean in the midrange, cold, and bright. The Denon 5900 was quite a bit better.

The 5900 was fuller in the midrange and had better bass than the 2900, and it also had good detail and dynamics. But it was still a bit too forward & sterile for me and didn't have the soundstaging ability of the SACD 1000 or Marantz DV-8400.

Although several of us now have described the tonal balance on the Marantz as tipped up, I don't think anybody would accuse it of being bright. The top end is actually quite refined. It has detail & air without being too bright and in your face.

I've never owned a Rega Planet, but from what I've heard it's a warm sounding player with an expansive soundstage. If that's true, I think the Marantz DV-8400 or even the Yamaha would end up being a better replacement than the Denon units. But if you're patient, I imagine a modded unit would quite a bit better still.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Suggestions for universal player for under $1k? - Dave Kingsland 18:50:33 04/23/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.