Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: My Panasonic F61A reads "PCM-dwnsmple" when playing DVD-As.

I used to own an older model Panasonic DVD-A player. It downsampled to produce a digital output when playing DVD-A discs, however, (I think) it always used the high-resolution data for decoding the analog outputs. I don't think you have to worry about it, but I would explore all the setup menus to be sure.

I think the message "PCM-dwnsmple" is merely informing you that the digital output is a downsampled version of the data. If you play a CD or DVD-video, you should not see that message, because the player no longer has to downsample the digital output (for copy protection). Some other brands of DVD-A players turn off the digital output when playing DVD-A. Panasonic chooses to supply a downsampled version through the digital output.

If you are getting multichannel analog output, I think you can be sure the player is not using downsampled data, because the downsampling reduces the signal to stereo. As you say, "why would it do that?" anyway. There would be no reason to design the player to degrade the signal used for producing analog outputs.

Hope this helps.
-Bobby

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.