Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

A few comments

Hi Socio,

First, you can transfer all your CDs, LPs, SACDs, laserdiscs etc to DVD, you only have to chose between DVD-V and DVD-A for your authoring format. As explained in a post below, the fastest and most convenient option is DVD-Audio, because you do not have to resample your files at all if you don't want to, and should be able to store an average of 8 CDs per disc.

I do not have Wavelab 5, so I cannot comment on the added functionality of the software over discWelder, but I suspect it will have better graphical menus and the ability to convert / edit your files from within the same application. This may prove useful if you want to edit and normalize your CDs for long play programs.

Second, Re: upsampling your files. You simply don't have to resample anything in DVD-Audio, redbook PCM is a native resolution in the specs. I have made many attempts at upsampling redbook CDs to 24/96 and 24/192, and to be honest, unless you do non-linear operations or mixing, I am not sure it's worth the extra time and effort (and disc space :)

You do need increased bit depth for added precision if you plan to do any editing, normalizing or compression on your files. You will be able to dither to 16 bits in the end if you need disc space, but you won't have to. Higher sampling rates will not change anything in that respect.

One area to look into is the CD vs. DVD sampling rates. Some people have suggested that DVD-based players handle the 48k "family" of sampling rates better than redbook. I personally upsampled many CDs to 48k to make them available for either DVD-V or DVD-A, and found that 48k had good results. Other inmates have made comments that they thought the sound was degraded after conversion from 44.1k to 48k. It really depends on your player, and the availability of good upsampling software (Adobe Audition has good resampling functions).

You may also want to compare the results of software-upsampled CDs with upsampling directly on the player, because an increasing number of DVD-Audio models (Panasonic) have pre-set upsampling converters that, maybe, do exactly what you want for 150$.

I have found that my old Technics A10 can upsample 44.1 and 48k to 24/192, and sometimes the results are better than when I do the upsampling myself on my PC...

I hope this helps.

Best

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A few comments - Eric LeRouge 07:23:41 04/13/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.