Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

misconceptions about 2ch only Hirez players....

I dig 2 channel only as well but I realize that theres no inherent superiority in using a 2 ch player vs a MCH one.

1) if you're thinking that 2 ch only players are better componentwise *at a given price point*, it is not so...these players are produced in much lower #s compared to MCH...what happens is that the economy of scale makes the 2 ch players *exponentially* more expensive...make 1 of anything and it will cost you a billion $/ea, make a billion and it will cost you 1$/ea as the costs shift from labor rates to raw materials and equipment rates (much cheaper indeed).

2) if you're thinking that 2ch have better implementation, it is not so...R&D goes into components that sell, i.e., MCH, the 2ch components are derived from the MCH, not the other way around you dont replicate R&D work....

3) the video circuitry is no more or less "polluting" in 2ch vs MCH...today circuit isolation, crosstalk reduction and on the fly defeatable video circuitry makes the issue irrelevant if you go ahead and listen...

4) Ive come to realize that MCH aint bad in and of itself...however the mixing and recording engineer make it or break it (break is the norm curenttly, but well done is a treat)...some MCH tracks Ive heard benefited greatly from a sound quality perspective compare to 2ch...specific titles require MCH for optimal playback IMO. Get 2ch only and you're stuck with that if you ever decide to change your mind, or if you're in MCH mood...

Technically speaking, you're better off getting a MCH player...now a universal may have some compromises...and thats where you should think about simplifying your setup and optimizing component performance/cost...the sonic attributes of DVD-A, its superior processing flexibility, the robust developement of PCM based equipment, and additional video content makes it a no-brainer IMO...competing formats, including SACD, have none of it as you very well know.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.