Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: I know I've posted this in Pro Asylum, but....

Q: Just wondering if there is a DVD drive for computer that will read DVD-A disks.

A: Any currently available DVD drive should be capable of reading DVD-A content, provided you have suitable soundcard and software player (see below).

Q: I also need a sound card that will allow me either 2 channel or multi channel DVD-A playback.

A:
Audigy 2 or 2ZS soundcard in combination with its software or with WinDVD's DVD-A add-on module should allow full resolution playback of all DVD-As, copy protected and non-copy protected.

WinDVD's DVD-A add-on module in combination with any soundcard that has 24/96 & 24/192 capability should allow full resolution playback of non-copy-protected DVD-As.

WinDVD's DVD-A add-on module in combination with any soundcard that has 24/96 & 24/192 capability, besides the Audigy 2/2ZS, will downsample to 48kHz for copy-protected DVD-As - for the Audigy 2/2ZS it will not downsample.

Q: Ideally, I'd like to be able to use my computer for two things- 24/96 or better recording/playback ...

A: My understanding is that the Audigy may resample to 48kHz during non-asio recording. I have an MAudio 1010LT which seems good for multichannel recording. For playback of DVD-A from my computer, I use the Audigy 2ZS. I haven't run into any issues with having both soundcards in the same machine.

Q: ... and DVD-A playback at full resolution (selectable for two channel or multi channel, as already mentioned).

A: For full resolution playback of DVD-As the only current soundcard that is currently allowed that I know of is Audigy 2/2ZS.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.