Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Is DVD-Audio more expensive for publishers?

Andre,

(Sorry, I was offline for a couple days)

I think we agree that including bonuses and providing high-quality content to the consumers is a good strategy in the long term, and AIX is a good example of a small label that has successfully achieved this. But -- as Mark Waldrep suggests below -- the full cost of a DVD-Audio product may be very high for a small audiophile label, especially if your distribution channels limit your sales to 3,000 to 5,000 (we all know that the average sale of audiophile high resolution titles is still in that range). This, and the fact that SACD is a simple "one stop" solution (see the posts by David Elias and the Suitcase Pimps' producer on the Hi-Rez Highway a few months ago), makes SACD an attractive option for cost-conscious small labels, especially if they plan to publish a stereo version only.

So my next comment would be that some elements are still missing in the food chain:

- For a small independent band or label, the total cost of doing a "simple" DVD-Audio should similar or cheaper than doing a SACD, and no more than doing a DVD.

- Need for some standardized templates that small labels and independent bands can buy as bundled packages (like other DVD-V templates etc) and that they will be able to customize and use in-house. This is something software publishers should be able to address, with a simple software and good templates sold on the Web.

- There's also a need for services: more small graphics studios willing and able to do the authoring for reasonable amounts, maybe with revenues indexed on a percentage of sales. It strikes me that there's a business opportunity in that area, many graphics studios could use the additional revenues

- The DVD-Audio Group ought to do some research into this, and generally speaking, send a message to the small studios and labels regarding the total cost of publishing a DVD-A title. Maybe a special "independent artists and labels" program could be set up, with a specific fee structure and an umbrella marketing program to advertise those titles.

That's my 0.02 :)

Cheers

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Is DVD-Audio more expensive for publishers? - Eric LeRouge 11:10:11 03/21/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.