Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Is DVD-Audio more expensive for publishers?

Eric,

That looks like a good assesment to me. I have a couple of comments ...

SACD can be mastered in the analog or PCM digital domain as well, and there are many good tools in either domain. Of course, at this point, you may turn off the 0.001 percent of people who care about keeping DSD "pure".

I think the important thing is producing something that consumers want to pay $18 or $25, or whatever the final price is, be it SACD or DVD-A, or DVD-V. We could argue 'til we're all blue in the face about the cost, flexibility, and time requirements of mastering DVD-As vs. SACD, but if people want bonus videos, or lyrics, or Easter eggs, or just cool-looking menus, over a plain audio-only product, then the successful DVD-A producer is going to provide this to them --- what's the use of saving a few thousand dollars when you don't sell anything? I think, too often, many people (not necessarily you), blinded by knee-jerk dogmatism in defending "their" hi-res format of choice for any trivial criticism, forget that content publishers have to make and sell desirable product.

This isn't to say that one format's better than another --- each format has its share of warts --- but I think a better way of looking at this is not just at the cost of mastering alone, but the additional revenue through extra sales as a result of paying more for mastering. In other words, how many more discs do I sell if I pay more for better, more, etc. mastering and authoring?

BTW, I'm not talking here just about whiz-bang features like menus and videos, but also better musical and technical production of the audio content. There are so many people today who think they can produce decent results with semi-pro tools and no real experience, with the false economy of forgoing hiring good (but expensive) recording and mastering engineers, it's not really a wonder to me that MP3s have taken over and the music industry is going down the toilet.

--Andre

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.