Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Still Around

I don't really have a lot of time to respond properly to this thread, but can say that producing a full-featured, truely high-resolution, 5.1 channel surround sound DVD-Audio/Video titles is very expensive and time-consuming. I believe that's why many traditional labels have opted for SACD...because it's the same business and financial model that they've always had. Straight music on a disc.

AIX Records is probably the only DVD-Audio only label on the planet. We aren't releasing our recordings in CD form for quality reasons and have no plans for SACDs because of the lack of multimedia and the lack of suitable tools for making high-resolution multitrack source recordings.

The cost of production is all about studio time, video editing, graphics, licensing, authoring, QC and replication. The average cost of doing these things on a title of moderate complexity would come out to near $50K to $150K. This includes the live shoot and recording all the way through the final finished product. Because AIX Media Group does this sort of work for other labels (mostly DVD-Videos), it obviously doesn't cost us that much our-of-pocket...but still it takes a lot of time and a fair amount of cash.

We don't pay additional publishing, we don't pay for CPPM or MLP, we don't pay for the logo...just the cost of recording, mixing and production.

An believe it or not, after having finished over 35 titles...we're in the black! DVD-Audio/Video has worked out very well for us and we have plans for an additional 20+ titles this year. The upcoming Bad Haggis title is my new personal favorite.

I lurk around here every so often...the comments are about the same. Thanks for the long winded post Denis.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.