Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Newbie question re: DAD's

Long time lurker, first time poster. I know this is kind of ancient history at this point, but I recently took advantage of Classic's sale of DAD's, buying the Gershwin, Coltrane, & John Lee Hooker (Mr. Lucky) discs. When I play them on my Denon 3800 (yes, THAT 3800 - no chroma or laser issues, plays very well) a strange thing happens. No digital PCM is output for the Gershwin or Coltrane, but IS for the Hooker.

I've set the receive (Denon 2803) mode to PCM & left the DVD setting for LPCM to 'off'; this is supposed to allow PCM up to 96Khz to pass thru the digital output. The set-up hints for the DVD player seem to imply that for discs like these, one should use only analog connections, which does in fact work, but one of the benefits of these discs (no copyright protection) is that the high res material can be played via the digital connection. It's almost as though the player is reading these two discs as copy-protected...

I'm still a newbie at this so I'm pretty sure I've missed something, but the fact that the Hooker disc plays fine via digital tells me that my set-up isn't completely off. Thanks for any comments.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Newbie question re: DAD's - TL-CHI 07:41:21 03/11/04 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.