Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Nothing ragged about Devore speakers

Maybe this will help, maybe not, but I've owned three Devore speakers, and currently own the Super 9s. I enjoyed the O/96 for several years, and I can tell you with assurance their top end is smooth and natural, not a bit "ragged" unless the associated equipment has that characteristic. I don't think I've ever heard a Devore speaker sound "ragged" on top. I think the Super 9 comparison to the 0/96 is instructive for this discussion about wide vs. narrow baffles. I like Herb's reviews and writing style, but he tends to over-simplify and generalize. The Super 9 is "narrow baffle" and yes, sounds more open and "airy" compared to the O/96. BUT...the Super 9 is also capable of power, scale and putting mucho meat on the bones of the music. I would have kept the O/96 but the room I had at the time wasn't quite large enough to let them "breathe" the way I have heard them in larger spaces. Herb said that even though the Heretics projected a large and satisfying soundscape, he was always aware of the size and dimensions of the enclosure, but that didn't bother him. I felt the same way about the O/96 in MY room, but not in a larger room, where I was not aware of music from a "box." The Heretics would probably also disappear more readily in a room larger than Herb's.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.