Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I do think that they have vested interests, but my question was...

As regmac (I believe), said, the answer is probably going to be unique to each person. There's a great illustration of this I recently stumbled into. Apparently Stereophile is encouraging each of its reviewers to do a little video talking about themselves, showing their equipment, listening room and so on. With one exception, I think these guys better stick to their day jobs. The exception is Mike Fremer, who comes off as a first class character. Part of Fremer's video is a clip of him doing a demo at some sort of show in Cleveland. A local website -- or TV show -- is doing a video in which Fremer uses some fancy stuff at a stereo shop to demonstrate the superiority of vinyl over digital, even very expensive digital. I think he used "Roxy Music." Anyway, while Fremer thinks the difference is dramatic, the TV show host appears to be just going along to be polite. I have no doubt that, to Fremer's ears, the difference is dramatic; and that to the host's ears, the difference is small and probably not significant.

Fremer is a connoisseur, with all of the good and bad that implies. Most people are not. Speaking personally, I just replaced a pair of speakers (that I have owned for at least 10 years) that had a "forgiving" top end. Their replacements do many things better, but one of the things they do is reveal the crappiness of some of my CDs played on my 15-year old SACD/CD player. While (apart from the imminent failure of the SACD laser system) it had been "good enough,:" now it's not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.