Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Bass control

Any of these amps should offer better bass control than a 2A3 SET. But none of them will give you the bass definition and control you can get with a more powerful solid state Class AB amp. So you pick your poison.

I keep swapping back and forth between the Luxman M-600A and a Simaudio W-5LE. They have different personalities. When the Luxman is in the system, I gravitate to mellower, more minimalistic music and audiophile grade stuff. When the Simaudio is in the system, I want to play fast, energetic, dynamic music. The Simaudio also wins out for me on complex orchestral music, and the Luxman is better at taking the edge off of poorly recorded music.

I've only heard Pass at the dealer and shows, and not in direct comparison to Luxman. But Pass hasn't grabbed my ear.

Another integrated amp to consider in this price range is the Ayre AX-5 Twenty. I owned the original AX-5 for a while, and enjoyed it a lot, but a system change meant I didn't need the preamp section. So I sold it with the plan of buying a VX-5 Twenty, which didn't happen because I decided to try the Luxman instead. Sometimes I regret it because I think the Ayre would have split the difference between the Luxman and Simaudio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Bass control - Dave_K 04:17:16 04/14/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.