Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Accuphase are very handsome ... they'd be top of my list if I were a billionaire

Your Living Voice speakers are about 94dB so I think your choice of the A48 (or integrated equivalent) is probably right.

My A36 (30 watts) is used with 102-104dB speakers and offers more than enough power. All I'd say (and this applies to all costly purchases) is to arrange a home trial for a week before you hand over your cash.

Earlier I described the A36 as slightly softer or warmer than some amps (as expected with Class A), but perhaps I should have said a little more "polite". There's nothing hard or aggressive or soggy, but perhaps I like a little more wildness and exuberance!

I've recently bought or borrowed a dozen or so excellent amps that have fallen short in some small measure when connected to my particular speakers in my peculiar listening room. Most were bought used and resold with little or no financial loss, but this wouldn't be the case if bought new of course.

I'm keeping the Accuphase for the time being as it's the best amp I've had in many ways but, after working my way through all these amps over 2-3 years, I've chosen to install a digital amp (don't tell anyone please) that offers the best overall solution for me. Peter

PS - I've concluded that separates are over-costly as 2 chassis and 2 fancy cases and 2 power supplies are needed, plus more cables. Integrateds amps should be marginally better sounding (cables NEVER improve sound) and a lot less costly for identical sound quality. With digital being most people's only sources, I'd go for an integrated with built-in DAC. More case and chassis saving, fewer cables and less equipment rack space requirement, but a future DAC could always be installed as technology progresses.

Edits: 04/13/20 04/13/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Accuphase are very handsome ... they'd be top of my list if I were a billionaire - cawson@onetel.com 04:34:17 04/13/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.