Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Accuphase - My Experience

I have no experience of their preamps, but I have the Accuphase A-36 power amp. It's certainly the best made, best designed and arguably best looking of the many amps I've bought or borrowed over the last 3 years in my search for solid state to replace tube amps.

I didn't include best sounding as this is rather down to speakers, room acoustics and your personal impression of what music should sound like.

The A-36 is a Class A amp and that, for me at least, has a slight disadvantage. It's certainly far better sounding than other Class As I've tried (Sugden, etc) but is somehow doesn't offer quite the sparkle of some other amps. It offers a slightly more mellow and perhaps warmer sound (akin to tubes) than the amp I've settled with. I'd highly recommend the A series of amps if you are in the market for Class A.

Accuphase offer lots of admirable features you rarely find on run-of-the mill amps at whatever price level they fit. The A-36 is just a power amp, but it offers large power meters (Luxmann-type), switches for 2 sets of speakers (not just 2 sets of terminals), front-panel switchable RCA or XLR inputs and very usefully a gain switch on the front panel. A few other amps offer optional gain settings but these are invariably difficult to access. Some have a rear panel switch (Benchmark), but others require removal of the top cover (maybe 16 screws) to fiddle around with dip switches (GamuT). Accuphase does these things right. I'm sure their preamps are equally well thought out and executed.

Edits: 04/12/20 04/12/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.