Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

probably not as good

I think you should ask over at AVSForum, I think they are the experts on this. Though when I once read over there (a few years ago when I was looking around) there were reports from people who either liked or disliked Audessey's effects, but almost everyone liked Dirac or Anthem.

Dirac & Anthem do their estimation of the DSP correction with sophisticated software on a PC/tablet, and you have lots of control over the parameters & target curve etc. What does the Audessey system do? There may be a "pro installation" extra that would bring it up to that level but if it's only a receiver control then probably not.

If you can't limit the top frequency of correction then it's likely to have some negative effects on high resolution dipoles like any Magnepan.

I certainly heard it with Anthem ARC, correction up to its maximum (5kHz for my model) strangled some of the Maggie Magic in the highs, the transparency and immersion was lost and it sounded like a regular speaker. But limiting the top frequency had great results, the bass strength and smoothness was improved, as well as 'dynamic snap', as some of the subbass went to the subwoofer. Maggie panels have a bass resonance between 40-50 Hz usually, and there is some energy storage (less damping) there. If you can get that to a sub which has stronger damping (i.e. a SEALED sub) it sounded like a great benefit.

I couldn't get that without ARC, i.e. a plain crossover didn't do it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • probably not as good - DrChaos 13:05:59 06/12/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.