Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Tympani IVa vs 3.7i vs ML Odyssey

It's been a few years since I've posted here, but if anyone remembers my past ramblings and scattered thoughts, I have another nitpicky first-world issue that normal people probably wouldn't care about, but for some reason we all do.

So my current setup is as follows:
- Tympani IVa mains powered by SonicCraft Opus monoblocks, Straightwire interconnects and speaker cable (don't remember which model cable)
- dual PSI Audio 18" subwoofers mounted in Dayton boxes powered by Crown XLC2800 stereo amp (normally Sunfire Signature 600, in the shop), generic 6 gauge car speaker cable
- Marantz SR 6012 receiver (2 channel rig doubles as home theater, do not have space nor funds for a separate 2 channel preamp that I feel would make a significant difference, not saying it doesn't exist)
- MGCC2+DWM center channel and MMG side and rear surrounds powered by Adcom GFA5500 (normally Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature, currently at my Daughter's powering Carver Amazings)

Anyway, The Tympani IVa are great and what I thought at one point were "endgame" speakers. However, I am in a slightly smaller listening room now (post-divorce) 14'Lx14'Wx12'H and the Tympani are quite the presence in this small area. Also, we all know that Magnepan has moved far beyond the old wire on mylar and old crossover designs to all quasi-ribbon and series crossovers, etc. So I'm using outdated tech.

Of course I would like to upgrade to 30.7 or even 20.7. I would also like 10 million dollars and to never work again, but I can dream... So I've narrowed my choices to the 3.7i and the Martin Logan Odyssey. I have located a pair of each within my budget, and the ML is half the cost of the 3.7i which is why I am considering this model. Problem is I can't readily audition either, and there are a hundred other factors that befuddle auditions anyway.

So has anyone listened to these 3 particular models and can offer some input? Points I have heard in general (not direct comparison) is the ML absolute top end transparency but poor cohesion with bass, 3.7i being more coherent and musical, neither having the bass of the Tympani, etc. But I can't find direct comparisons.

Keep in mind I currently run my Tympani full range but also cross the subs at 80hz. Even with the Tympani, I need to add that low bass slam, so losing a bit of that to move to a better top end in a smaller form factor may be acceptable.

Thanks,
Marty

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Tympani IVa vs 3.7i vs ML Odyssey - methylmarty 11:11:54 06/10/21 (40)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.